Patio umbrellas are an excellent investment for any outdoor space. You can stay outside for hours without getting sunburned or wake up to find that the rain has stopped and everything is dry.
But what do you do when your patio umbrella gets wet?
Whether it’s from sprinklers, rain, or just being left out in the open, all of the water will eventually leak onto your table and chairs if your umbrella is wet inside.
Luckily, there are some easy ways to waterproof your umbrella, so it doesn’t ruin your furniture.
Here are some tips on how to waterproof a patio umbrella so you can have peace of mind knowing that no matter what the weather does outside, your patio is safe.
- How to Waterproof a Patio Umbrella
- 1. Use a Waterproofing Spray
- Step By Step Procedure for Using Waterproofing Sprays
- 2. Get a Waterproof Umbrella Cover
- 3. Make Your Own- DIY
- Frequently Asked Questions on Waterproofing A Patio Umbrella
- Q: Can You Leave A Patio Umbrella In The Rain?
- Q: Do I Need a Patio Umbrella Cover?
- Q: Is PVC Good To Waterproof A Patio Umbrella?
How to Waterproof a Patio Umbrella
A patio umbrella is an instrumental piece of outdoor furniture. It protects you from the sun when you’re outside,
it keeps you cool in the shade, and it provides a safe place for you to sit while grilling, reading, or simply enjoying nature.
Despite all of these benefits, however, most patio umbrellas are not waterproof.
These umbrellas can easily become damaged by water and sunlight. That is why it’s important to waterproof your new or existing patio umbrella. Here is how.
1. Use a Waterproofing Spray
One of the easiest ways to waterproof your patio umbrella is with good quality waterproofing spray.
There are many sprays on the market that can do this job for you, and they make it easy because all you have to do is apply them once or twice over an entire summer season.
Usually, any water-resistant product will work as long as you follow the instructions carefully and use enough of it.
Waterproofing sprays work because they create a protective layer on your umbrella that will keep water from seeping into the material.
They also help protect against direct sunlight, which can fade most fabrics and damage their fibers over time.
You can check this waterproofing spray on Amazon: Aqua Armor Fabric Waterproofing Spray for Patio & Awning.
Step By Step Procedure for Using Waterproofing Sprays
- Clean off all debris and dust from your umbrella.
- Make sure to work in an open, well-ventilated area.
- Apply the waterproofing spray evenly over your entire umbrella surface until it is completely saturated. If you are using a water-resistant product that comes with its own applicator or mister, use this tool for the best results. Otherwise, make sure to cover everything thoroughly – do not miss any spots!
- Use enough coats so that no water can seep through after the application is complete.
- Allow your patio umbrella at least one hour before exposing it directly to sunlight and applying heavy objects on top of it (i.e., chairs). This waiting period allows the protective layer created by the spray time enough time to harden into place so that no damage can be done when someone sits down or hangs their wet swimsuit from your umbrella later on.
- Allow enough drying time before use or storage- usually around 24 hours, but this varies depending on how thickly you applied the protective coating.
- Once everything is completely dry, fold up your new waterproofed patio umbrella and enjoy reading outdoors without worrying about rain damaging anything inside!
2. Get a Waterproof Umbrella Cover
Another option for waterproofing a patio umbrella is with a special type of cover made just for this purpose.
These covers slip easily over your existing umbrella and create a barrier between the fabric and everything else.
There are many different types of these covers available, so you should be able to find one that will fit right onto your own personal style or design preferences (or whatever other factors may matter).
Umbrella Covers can also save space because they fold up when not in use, making them easy to store during winter months or while it’s raining outside.
Also read: Best sun shades for decks
You can even get “pop-up” versions if you want something more convenient than having to unfold and set up your cover manually.
You can check this waterproofing spray on Amazon: AUSCREZICON Patio Umbrella Cover.
3. Make Your Own- DIY
If you are just looking to waterproof your patio umbrella without spending too much cash, then one of the best options is simply making your own.
You can easily purchase special fabric or use an old shower curtain liner if it’s something that will fit your needs and budget.
Some people even recommend using garbage bags since they can be thick enough to keep water out but still allow air circulation.
Just remember not to get anything with holes in it because ultimately, you want this layer of protection between umbrella and wet surfaces! If possible,
try adding some extra zinc strips around the bottom of your umbrella shaft as well – these work wonders at keeping moisture from seeping through where it shouldn’t go.
Frequently Asked Questions on Waterproofing A Patio Umbrella
Q: Can You Leave A Patio Umbrella In The Rain?
It is not recommended to leave a patio umbrella in the rain. However, if you are moving it from one location to another with no chance of rain or other wet weather, this should be fine.
Q: Do I Need a Patio Umbrella Cover?
Yes! When you are looking to waterproof a patio umbrella, getting some protective cover is one important step.
Whether it’s an actual patio umbrella cover or just something else that can keep your outdoor furniture pieces dry, this will help keep everything safe and functional for years to come.
Q: Is PVC Good To Waterproof A Patio Umbrella?
While PVC may look like a sturdy material for waterproofing a patio umbrella, it is actually not recommended because it doesn’t allow any moisture to evaporate.
This can cause mold and mildew growth problems over time, so you should avoid using PVC and vinyl whenever possible.
See also: Can a patio umbrella be painted?
There are many different methods of how to waterproof a patio umbrella methods available, but you should be able to find the one that works best for your specific needs and budget.
From umbrellas themselves to how you store them when not in use, waterproofing your patio umbrella is an important step that can keep your outdoor furniture pieces safe and functional for many years.
Even if it doesn’t rain or snow outside, humidity alone can cause some serious problems to your patio umbrella.
Read Also: How to fix wobbly umbrella stand