Do you have yellow and brown spots on your lawn? or is your backyard lawn emitting an awful urine-like odor?
Your grass lawn might be taking the brunt of your dog’s urine, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Keep on reading for an insightful understanding of how to remove dog urine smell from lawn!
Chilling and unwinding in the backyard is usually a memorable experience for every family member. Sharing your lawn with your furry friends can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of owning a backyard lawn – until you start smelling unpleasant dog pee odor and seeing eye soaring patches on your lush carpet.
So what do you do?
Anybody who owns a dog is familiar with the disgusting odor that dog pee can leave behind. The smell can be more pungent outside, especially if the area is not washed frequently.
Dogs tend to pee in the same spot repeatedly, which accumulates over time, resulting in a smelly outdoor area. Plus, When the urine is exposed to sunlight, the smell can become unbearable.
That disgusting smell will still be there even if the pee is absorbed into the soil and can persist for months if not properly handled. To successfully remove these noxious odors, you must ensure that you effectively eliminate them, not just masking up the smell.
Before diving into how to remove dog urine smell from your lawn, it’s important to understand what causes cause dog urine smell in your grass.
Why there is dog urine smell in your backyard?
Perhaps you have started noticing a weird dog urine smell on your lawn that was not there before, and you are curious about what could be causing this foul dog urine smell?
There are several reasons for this, and knowing what is behind the smell can come in handy in understanding not just how to remove dog urine smell from your lawn but also how to stop it from happening again.
- The main reason is the fact that dogs tend to do their business on the same spot over and over, resulting in a more pungent odor.
- Your dog could be having some underlying health issues. – If you detect a foul dog urine smell that was never there before, It’s essential to pay attention. Your dog might be having some health issues that require medical attention.
- Urinating on porous surfaces like concrete. – concrete will absorb the urine, and over time, you will notice a heavier smell and discoloration of the peed area.
How To Remove Dog Urine Smell From Lawn
Depending on where the smell is coming from, there are several ways to remove dog urine smell from your grass. Even though the procedure is somewhat similar, it all depends on the smell’s location.
- The first step is to identify where the smell is coming from. – since dogs usually relieve themselves in the same spot, you only need to work on these areas to remove the smell
- step two is cleaning up the area
- For grassy areas, sprinkle garden lime on the affected areas. The more you use, the more chances of succeeding. Lime not only eliminates any existing smell but also neutralizes the alkalinity of dog urine, allowing your lawn to stay greener.
- If the area is wet, use a pipe with a nozzle to spray the affected area for several minutes until it is fully saturated with soapy water, then vigorously rinse. Be sure to set the nozzle to maximum pressure.
- If the urine has dried up on a porous area such as concrete, just mix any kitchen bleach with water and spread it on the surface. Leave the mixture to settle for 20 minutes before rinsing with water.
Products that help remove dog urine odor from grass
Note: while using these products, it’s essential to keep your dogs indoors – though they are not harmful to dogs, you never know your dog might be allergic to chemicals used in making these products.
Outdoor Dog Urine Odor Eliminator
Sometimes it might become necessary to use dog urine smell eliminators. These eliminators use chemicals to break down smelly bacteria in dog urine.
One of the best outdoor dog urine odor eliminator as rated by amazon is: -The SIMPLE GREEN Outdoor Odor Eliminator.
Not only does this product eliminate dog urine odor, but it also removes terrible smells from vomit and other organic components. It uses non-toxic natural enzymes to remove dog urine smell from your lawn. You simply hook it up to your lawn hose to spray the affected areas.
How often you use it depends on the number of dogs using your grass as a toilet. It works well on both natural and artificial grass. Plus, it also works on porous surfaces.
How To Get Rid Of Dog Urine Smell Outside Concrete
Sometimes these fluffy creatures can decide to turn your garage concrete floor to be their bathroom. Most of the time, you won’t even notice this until it’s too late and there is an awful coming out of your garage floor.
So what’s the best urine remover for concrete floors, your may ask?
The easiest way to remove dog urine smell from concrete is by using urine enzymatic cleaners. One of the best urine removers for concrete is the Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator.
This enzymatic solution is guaranteed to remove any dog smell on your concrete floor. It also discourages dogs from urinating on any treated surfaces. It is not harmful to you and your dog and can be used on any porous surface.
If your dog usually relieves itself in your backyard, the urine can potentially compromise your lawn. You will start smelling an unwanted odor coming from your lawn, especially if your dog uses the same place to do its thing.
Dog urine not only emits an irritating smell but also burns your lawn grass due to its acidity. Removing dog urine from your lawn shouldn’t be complicated, nor should it be expensive.
Most of the time, you will need water and readily available bleaches to accomplish the task.