String lights can make your outdoor relaxation more pleasant. Also, they are low power consumption and can create a good ambiance for social gatherings. But how can you hang them in an outdoor space?
Hanging string lights on trees is an easy way of installing lights in your yard. If you don’t have trees but want to create a unique dash of ambiance in your backyard, you can use other options to hang your twinkling string lights.
By learning how to hang string lights in backyard without trees, you’ll illuminate your outdoor space for proper navigation of your backyard.
- Guide on How to Hang String Lights in Backyard without Trees
- 1. Hang string lights on poles
- 2. Hang your string lights along the fence
- 3. Hang string lights on a deck railing
- 4. Attach the string lights on the wall
- 5. Hang the string lights on a covered patio
- FAQs About Hanging String Lights in the Backyard without Trees
- How can you hang string lights without nails?
- Which is the best way to hang string lights without trees?
- How do you ensure that your outdoor string lights are safe?
Guide on How to Hang String Lights in Backyard without Trees
1. Hang string lights on poles
If you own a treeless backyard, you may need to add poles. You can purchase them from an online or a local store or make several by yourself. The good thing about poles is that you can place them where you want them to be. Also, you can add paint that fits your color scheme.
If you wish to buy the poles from the store, it is good to ensure that they feature umbrella stands as a base. With this, you will avoid the hustle of digging holes in the ground. If using DIY pole stands is your thing, make sure you select non-flammable and rust-resistant pipes.
Here are 3 tips for hanging string lights using DIY poles
- Choose a sturdy bucket and fill it with cement
- Stand a PVC pipe or wooden post inside the bucket
- When the cement hardens, the post will not shake. At this stage, you can drill holes at the center or top of the post to run the string lights. Also, you can use zip ties to keep the string lights in place.
2. Hang your string lights along the fence
A fence is the easiest method to hang string lights in your backyard. Most of the string lights feature a hole above each bulb. Thus, you can use a nail or metal hooks to attach the lights to the fence.
But if you don’t want to destroy your fence by putting marks, you can drape the string lights over the fence in your desired pattern.
When choosing the part of the fence you want to attach your lights to, it is good to make sure that it is near the power outlet. Failure to do this, you will require purchasing a long extension cord that will run from the power outlet to the fence.
3. Hang string lights on a deck railing
Deck railing is an ideal location to hang string lights because it will highlight your balcony and the front part of your home, making it stand out. But the process can be challenging, especially if you have not done it before.
Here’s how to hang outdoor string lights on a deck railing
- Add DIY poles to the deck railing to extend its height
- Choose an ideal height depending on how you want to style your string lights
- Use screw eyes or cup hooks to attach the string lights to the poles
4. Attach the string lights on the wall
If your house has a HardiePlank siding, you can consider hanging string lights on the wall. This involves screwing hooks directly into the wall and hanging the lights according to your desired pattern. Remember to be careful not to compromise the siding when attaching the screw.
5. Hang the string lights on a covered patio
A covered space can be a good solution because it can protect your string lights from harsh weather conditions. Also, it can prevent the lights from blowing in the wind. Thus, if you have a roof space in your outdoor living area, it can be easy to set up string lights. This is vital since you can leave the lights on for a long time without compromising their quality.
FAQs About Hanging String Lights in the Backyard without Trees
How can you hang string lights without nails?
Nails are commonly used to keep the string lights in place. However, they can leave holes in the walls or fences. In this case, you can use other options to hang string lights on patio without nails such as:
Which is the best way to hang string lights without trees?
The best way to hang your string lights depends on the availability of things such as a fence, deck, a covered outdoor roof, and the power outlet. If you have a fence near a power outlet, it can be easy to hang the string lights.
Also, you can hang the string lights on existing supports such as gazebos, trellises, pergolas, or outbuildings.
If you don’t have any of these supports in your backyard, or if the supports are far from the power outlet, you can create your own supports. Although this method is tiresome and time-consuming, it is worth the effort.
This technique will allow you to place the string lights in your preferred place. For instance, you can install a PVC pipe near the entrance of your home to create a welcoming experience.
How do you ensure that your outdoor string lights are safe?
String lights create a perfect atmosphere for any outdoor space. But the way you hang the lights will determine their safety.
For instance, if you use a method that will require a lot of tugging, you may end up damaging the bulbs. That’s why it is advisable to follow the easy tips when hanging string lights.
Here are tips for hanging string lights in the backyard safely
It is easy to hang string lights on the trees. But you should not let a treeless yard prevent you from creating a perfect way to install your string lights. This guide on how to hang string lights in backyard without trees will help you perform the whole project effectively.