Patio door blinds serve an excellent function of giving privacy while enjoying some cool breeze.
And luckily, if you opt for vertical blinds, they don’t attract much dust compared to horizontal blinds. As such, you don’t have to regularly look for vertical blind cleaning services.
However, you will notice dust build-up with time in your vertical blinds. And when it gets to that point, you need to show them a little love. So, take your time to learn how to clean vertical patio door blinds.
Unfortunately, patio door blinds aren’t easy to clean. You need to add a little effort to keep them neat, and in return, they will give you a more extended service.
Blinds made of vinyl, fabric, and plastic can be soaked hence an easier cleaning task. But for wooden blinds, you need to handle them with extra care because they cannot be soaked.
Further, you can clean your blinds with a laundry machine. But experts recommend taking clear guidelines to avoid damages.
With that said, let’s dive in and learn how to clean vertical patio door blinds with various methods;
- How to Clean Vertical Patio Door Blinds
- How to Clean Vertical Blinds While Hanging
- How to Wash Vertical Blinds in the Dishwasher
- How to Wash Vertical Blinds in the Bath
- How to Wash Vertical Blinds in Washing Machine
- FAQs- How to Clean Vertical Patio Door Blinds
- How Do You Remove Mold From Outdoor Blinds?
- What is the Best Way to Clean Fabric Vertical Blinds?
- What is the Best Way to Clean Blinds Without Taking Them Down?
How to Clean Vertical Patio Door Blinds
This writing will discuss four effective methods to clean vertical patio door blinds. They are easy DIY tasks that can save you a few dollars. Take a look;
How to Clean Vertical Blinds While Hanging
Removing the patio door blinds to clean them can be tiresome. Thankfully, today you will learn how to clean vertical blinds without removing them.
Well, all you have to do is do a little dusting and vacuuming. Afterward, you will need to use a little soap, and your blinds will regain a good look.
How to Wash Vertical Blinds in the Dishwasher
- Dusting – close the blinds so the flat sides face you. Then, use a thick duster to wipe the dust from top to bottom.
Afterward, rotate the blinds for the opposite sides to face you and repeat the process. However, don’t use a microfiber cloth or a featherweight because they move the dust to the floor instead of picking it.
- Vacuuming – using a duster alone will not remove the whole dust. So, it would be best if you used a vacuum cleaner afterward.
Ideally, use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attached to it to remove all the grime. For effectiveness, vacuum from the top going downwards.
Also read: Top vacuum for outdoor patio
- Clean the spots – fill a bowl with warm water and add a few drops of dishwashing soap. Then, stir the solution until it becomes foamy. This works great in cleaning plastic, vinyl, and fabric blinds.
Dip a microfiber cloth inside the soapy water and wipe your blinds, keenly checking the spots. Where there are spots, scrub gently in circular motions until they subside.
- Clean off the soap – wet separate microfiber cloth and wipe all the soap on the blinds.
Ideally, press the opposite side of the blinds with the non-dominant hand and pat them to thoroughly soak up the moisture.
- Allow the blinds to airdry – leave the blinds to air dry for around two hours. Keep them secure from dust that may blow from outside.
Also read: Thermal curtains for patio doors
How to Wash Vertical Blinds in the Bath
Plastic and vinyl blinds can be soaked, but for fabric blinds, you need first to inspect their design. If they can be washed in the bath tab, you are good to carry on your task.
- Wipe to remove the dust – wipe the blinds to remove the dust before unlocking them from the door rail. While wiping, shake off the duster or sponge to avoid spreading the dust.
- Unlock the blinds from the rail – grab the top and use your finger to grip the top. Once they are loose, pull them down and lay them on a flat surface.
- Fill the bathtub with hot water – the bath tab water should not exceed 30° C to avoid damaging the sensitive materials.
Add a few drops of dishwashing soap to the warm water.
- Soak the blinds – allow the blinds to remain in the water for 30 min to 1 hour while fully submerged.
Afterward, drain the water and lay the blinds on a flat surface.
- Dry the blinds – spread a dry towel on a flat surface and lay the blinds on it. Then, dry the water using a microfiber cloth.
Note that fabric material may take longer to dry. So, hang them separately until they are dry to touch.
Also read: How to clean dirty large porch screens
How to Wash Vertical Blinds in Washing Machine
Washing the blinds with a washing machine needs a special procedure. First, you should have a washable bag or a pillowcase to secure them inside. This is to protect the material from snagging.
- Arrange the blinds in a bag/pillowcase – arrange the blinds straight in the washable bag or the pillowcase. However, you should find the right bag size to ensure they stay in place. This will prevent the fraying of the fabric edges.
- Add some liquid detergent – in the compartment, add enough detergent to clean your blinds effectively. Then, set your laundry machine to a delicate cycle.
Ideally, select a delicate fabric or even lower, but turn the temperature to warm for the detergent to work well.
- Dry your blinds – spread the towel on the surface after cleaning and dry your blinds. Afterward, leave them for about 2 hours to completely dry before attaching them.
Also read: Energy efficient patio doors reviews
FAQs- How to Clean Vertical Patio Door Blinds
How Do You Remove Mold From Outdoor Blinds?
Mold on blinds makes them look ugly and can also be a health hazard. Cleaning vertical blinds with vinegar is one of the most embraced methods by many homeowners.
So, mix warm water with white vinegar at the same ratio depending on the size of the affected areas.
Afterward, pour the mixture into the spray bottle and spray on the affected areas. Then, scrub gently with a bristle brush in circular motions and rinse.
What is the Best Way to Clean Fabric Vertical Blinds?
Fabric vertical blinds can be cleaned by hand or by a washing machine. However, remember to use warm water for the liquid soap to be effective in both methods.
What is the Best Way to Clean Blinds Without Taking Them Down?
First, dust or vacuum the blinds and later wipe them with warm soapy water. Remember to dry them with a clean towel after cleaning.
How to clean vertical patio door blinds isn’t a big deal. All you need is the above simple tips, and you will do it like a pro.