Today you’ll learn how to clean artificial grass in balcony using easy DIY methods that get the work done fast. Whether you like to spend more time on the balcony or you occasionally frequent space, and you’re looking for some cleaning ideas for your grass carpet, this article is for you.
A fake grass carpet is a good investment because it doesn’t require as much maintenance as the natural grass growing on your lawn. It doesn’t require fertilization, mowing, aeration, or irrigation.
However, the grass carpet does get dirty, mostly due to a lot of foot traffic from kids, adults, and pets. Also, living in a dusty, windy, and rainy environment can determine the condition of your grass.
And that’s why it’s important to learn how to clean artificial grass carpets.
Here, we show you how to:
- Clean spills
- Remove fallen leaves
- Clean pet waste from the carpet
- Remove bacteria and so much more
So without further ado, let’s get started.
- How to Clean Artificial Grass in Balcony
- Cleaning Liquid Spills from Grass Carpet
- Cleaning Pet Waste from Artificial Grass Carpet
- Removing Bacteria from Artificial Grass
- How to Keep Your Artificial Grass Carpet from Stains and Burns
- Keeping Artificial Grass Carpet from Window Magnification Burns
- Frequently Asked Questions: how to clean fake grass carpet
- 1. Do you have to clean fake grass carpet?
- 2. What can you wash artificial grass with?
- 3. Can you jet wash artificial grass on a balcony?
- 4. How do you get dog urine out of fake grass?
How to Clean Artificial Grass in Balcony
Cleaning Liquid Spills from Grass Carpet
With your balcony so cozy, it’s hard to resist the urge to spend time in the space. And as long as you hang out in this area, you can expect some kind of spills to get to the carpet.
It can be from water, a cup of tea, a glass of wine, or anything really.
- Normal water should be sufficient to rinse away normal stains. In some cases, you may notice some stains still left. In such a case, use a mix of warm water and detergent.
- Use your bare hands to pick dropped chewing gums, candies, and sticky substances. If chewing gum feels too difficult to remove, place an ice cube on it and then try again after a few minutes.
- Use a paper towel to clean areas with spilled liquids. Make sure to be gentle so you don’t ruin the quality of the grass.
Cleaning Pet Waste from Artificial Grass Carpet
If you have pets at home, there’s a high chance they will frequent the balcony and spend time on the artificial grass. And it’s not uncommon for them to leave waste behind when they move back into the house.
Eventually, you’ll have some cleaning to do.
Fortunately, removing pet waste from the fake grass carpet isn’t difficult.
First, identify which spot on the grass carpet your pet likes to lay on most of the time. This makes it easy for you to know exactly where to clean so you don’t waste your time treating the entire grass carpet.
- Use a poop scooper or baggie to remove solid waste from the grass carpet
- Hose the area
- Use a mixture of one part of vinegar and water to spray the area where the pet urinated
- Add some turf neutralizer to get rid of smell from dog urine and poop
You might want to consider potty training your pet to lower the frequency of cleaning their waste from the artificial grass carpet, but this will take some time.
Removing Bacteria from Artificial Grass
You don’t have to worry about bacterial buildup if you clean your artificial grass carpet at least once a week.
However, the presence of bacteria can be a concern if you clean the carpet occasionally.
If that’s the case, mix water and vinegar in equal part in a spray bottle and use the mixture to treat the whole carpet.
How to Keep Your Artificial Grass Carpet from Stains and Burns
Keeping your artificial grass carpet in your balcony in good condition requires more than just regular cleaning. You also need to protect it from stains and burns so that it serves you for a long time.
If you notice unusual remains of spots and patches that don’t seem to go away despite multiple rounds of cleaning, there is a high chance you’re dealing with stubborn stains or a burn artificial grass carpet.
Spills from grease, motor oil, lubricant, cigarette burns, battery acid, and some foodstuffs can discolor, burn, and damage your grass carpet.
So it’s important to make sure your artificial grass carpet never makes contact with such substance.
Choose a safe spot for smoking, mini grilling, and lighting fireworks. Doing so will ensure you keep your grass carpet in its best condition for an extended period.
Keeping Artificial Grass Carpet from Window Magnification Burns
While direct sunlight won’t ruin the quality of your artificial grass in the balcony, strong magnification or reflection from sliding glasses and energy-efficient windows can cause burns.
Commonly referred to as low emissivity glasses, these window glasses have metallic oxides, which control heat transfer while maintaining the overall quality of the grass.
While low emissivity glasses keep heat from entering the house in the summer and leaving in the winter months, they can reflect light that is as intense as that from a magnifying glass.
The magnified light isn’t just powerful enough to burn plastic cans, but also so intense that it can burn and ruin the quality of your artificial grass carpet.
The best solution to keep window magnification from ruining the quality of your grass carpet is to install awnings, shades, or screens. Doing so will go a long way to minimize reflection and keep your grass carpet in good condition.
Frequently Asked Questions: how to clean fake grass carpet
1. Do you have to clean fake grass carpet?
You don’t have to clean fake grass carpet every day, but it’s important to have a weekly cleaning schedule to keep dust and debris from accumulating.
Spraying it off once a week can go a long way to ensure you maintain the appearance of the grass for an extended period.
2. What can you wash artificial grass with?
You can use a mix of water and vinegar in the ratio of 1:1 to clean the artificial grass in the balcony.
However, do keep in mind that the mixture doesn’t have a descent scent, which is why some people may find the content somewhat disgusting.
3. Can you jet wash artificial grass on a balcony?
Jet wash is effective in removing turf from the artificial grass, but you do have to be careful to keep the washer’s nozzle a foot away from the grass so you don’t damage the carpet.
Also, angle the nozzle so that the green blades deliver an upward fluffing effect.
4. How do you get dog urine out of fake grass?
Use a garden hose to hose the area where the dog pooped or urinated on.
Make a vinegar and water solution in equal parts, and spray the solution to the area.
Finish by deodorizing the exact spot to get rid of the smell.
You don’t have to replace your fake grass carpet after every year. That’s because regular cleaning goes a long way to maintain the quality of the artificial turf, making the carpet look as if it’s new every day.
By simply implementing the cleaning ideas that we’ve shared in this guide, it should be easy to keep the grass carpet in its condition.
You might want to consider hiring a professional carpet cleaner, but that should be a last resort and only if you don’t have the time to do the work yourself.